Crossfit Snatch is a great movement, but it takes a little bit of practice to get it done correctly. If you have never done a Crossfit Snatch before, make sure to follow all of the directions or you won’t be able to bring the bar over your head and in a worst case scenario hurt your back.
A good Crossfit Box will ensure that you take a 1 or a 2 day class of proper lifting techniques. If your Box does not offer the beginners course, ask around to find out which Box does. You don’t want to start your Crossfit training the wrong way.
Steps To A Perfect Crossfit Snatch
- Squat down low with a bar below your knees.
- Lift your body up with your legs. Clear your knees so the bar does not hit them. Keep your back at the same angle (do not bring your shoulders backward or your butt forward, just go vertical.)
- Do not bring the bar around your knees or you will be pulled forward.
- Bring the bar to mid-thigh. This is when your back starts to straighten out so it can go below the bar.
- Before you go under the bar, the bar should be in the crease between your thighs and your stomach.
- Bend your knees
- Jump (make sure you are landing in your final position with your feet apart), the “catch” the bar overhead.
- At the landing position the bar should be behind your head, not in front.
- Make sure not to pull the bar with your arms throughout the whole movement. You are using your legs and bringing your body under the bar not pulling the bar up.
Common Crossfit Snatch Mistakes